On May 16, 1928, four Salesians – Fr. Joseph Hauber (the Rector), Fr.. Austin Dehlert, Bro. William Haughey and Bro. Michael Devalle took over the management of the Educational Institution of the Immaculate Conception from Fr. J.S. Freitas S.J. The school was housed in a rented building called “Tardeo Castle”. When the new school year commenced on June 6, 1928, there was complete change of staff and servants. On the rolls were one hundred and eight-nine day scholars and ninety-eight boarders. The staff was composed of nine masters and four lady teachers. Mr. Roch Thomas was the Headmaster officially from July 1, 1928. Two years later in June 1930, the institution changed its name to ` Don Bosco High School’. In 1932 Fr. Adolf Torniquist succeeded Fr. Hauber, staying in office until his departure for Argentina in May 1936. The school then remained without a Rector for nine months.
In 1937, Rev. Fr. Aurelius Maschio was appointed Superior. Gifted with rare foresight, dynamism and with a penchant for materializing his plans. Fr. Aurelius made an assessment of the existing situation, laid out his plans and launched out in a massive way to obtain funds. He found at Matunga a spacious plot – a landscape of marsh, water filled pits and slimy mud, which he proposed to buy. In the meanwhile Rev. Frs. Berruti and Candela of the Superior Chapter, during their brief stop in Bombay on their way back to Turin from the Far East visited the proposed Matunga plot and gave their approval for its purchase.
With notice to quit Tardeo Castle by October 1, 1940 the entire school was shifted to a place called “Hilltop” on Carmichael Road at Cumbala Hill by the end of September 1940. In the meanwhile all attention was focused upon the new place bought at Matunga for a future Don Bosco Institution. And so it came to pass that on March 19, 1941, the foundation stone of the new building in Matunga was blessed and laid by Archbishop Thomas Roberts S.J.
By October 31, 1941, “Hill top” was vacated and the school moved into the partially completed building. On January 31, 1942, the premises were completed and solemnly inaugurated. It remains today as the secondary section of Don Bosco , Matunga.
The foundation stone of the primary section building was blessed and laid on the feast of Don Bosco January 31, 1950. The building was completed in time for the new school year of June 1951.
During the rectorship of Fr. M.Casarotti (1952 – 1958), the shrine of Don Bosco`s Madonna was started and completed by Fr.Maschio . Fr.Hubert Rosario became the next Rector. He was elected Bishop of Dibrugarh at the end of his term. On November 28, 1958, during the sacred function of the consecration of the new church, Bishop D`Rosario with seven other bishops also consecrated the eight beautiful altars of the Church and Crypt.
In January 1965, Fr. John Giacomello, Rector and Rev. Fr. Ignatius Rubio, Administrator, built what is the present boarding house.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE SALESIAN PROVINCE OF BOMBAY ON THE OCASSION OF ITS SILVER JUBILEE (1972 – 1997)
The institute is run by the SALESIANS OF DON BOSCO of the Province of Bombay, which is celebrating its silver jubilee year.
The Salesians of Don Bosco are an international educational organization that works for the development of young people especially those who are poor and abandoned. It takes its pedagogical inspiration from its founder, Don Bosco (1815 – 1888) an Italian Saint of the Roman Catholic Church.
In India the Salesians arrived in 1906 and first established themselves in Tanjavur, Tamilnadu, . Later in 1921, they accepted to take up work in Assam, in 1926 the Bishop of Daman appealed to the Provincial of Salesian India, to send Salesians to Bombay in order to take up the immaculate Conception School and Boarding for boys at Tardeo, Bombay, The school was re-named `Don Bosco School’ and was given canonical status in 1933.
In order to run the school more efficiently Fr. Aurelius Maschio was called from Cherapunjee to take charge of the school. However, eviction notices by the landlord at Tardeo forced Fr. Maschio to look for land on which to build the new school premises. He chose a plot at Matunga and began the work of building a school there. Thus in 1941 the entire school and boarding shifted from Tardeo to Matunga.
In 1946 another Salesian, Fr. Vincent Scuderi was sent to Goa begin work in Panjim. He began to establish the Salesian presence there by starting an oratory and a school.
Having established themselves firmly in Bombay and Panjim the work of expansion continued rapidly until, in 1972, the Province of Bombay was formed. This increased the speed of growth throughout the areas of Maharashtra, Goa, Gujrat and Western Madhya Pradesh and Karnataka.
In all the expansion and through the diversity of their projects the focus of the Salesians has always been ” service to youth in the mission and spirit of Don Bosco.” The developments that have taken place from the beginning right up to silver jubilee year are:-
|CHURCHES / PARISHES||SCHOOLS & BOY`S BOARDINGS|
|1948 Wadala (Bombay)||1928 Tardeo Castle (Bombay)|
|1974 Yerwada (Pune)||1940 Cumbala Hill (Bombay)|
|1981 Antop Hill (Bombay)||1941 Matunga (Bombay)|
|1990 Ahmedabad (Gujarat )||1946 Panjim (Goa)|
|1989 Jaitala ( Nagpur)||1948 Wadala (Bombay)|
|1974 Baroda ( Gujarat)||1969 Andheri (Bombay)|
|1975 Chhota Udepur (Gujarat)||1970 Borivili (Bombay)|
|1986 Ahmednagar||1974 Baroda ( Gujarat)|
|1986 Bhingar ( Ahmednagar)||1975 Chhota Udepur ( Gujarat)|
|1986 Savedi ( Ahmednagar)||1981 Dakor ( Gujrat)|
|1981 Dakor (Gujarat)||1985 Quepem (Goa)|
|1988 Pinuguli ( Sindhudurg)||1986 Kawant (Gujarat)|
|1990 Tuem ( Goa)||1986 Savedi ( Gujarat)|
|1992 Alirajpur (M.P.)||1987 Narukot (Gujarat)|
|1995 Sirsi (Karnataka)||1990 Tuem (Goa)|
|1995 Sirsi ( Karnataka)|
|FORMATION HOUSES||TECHNICAL INSTITUTES|
|1962 Lonavala ( Pune Dt.)||1965 Kurlla (Bombay )|
|1974 Koregaon Park ( Pune )||1973 Fatorda (Goa)|
|1978 Nashik ` S.T.I.’||1975 Chhota Udepur ( Gujarat)|
|1980 Nashik, `Dvuadaan’||1987 Natukot (Gujarat)|
|1988 Pinuguli ( Sindhudurg)||1988 Pinuguli ( Sindhudurg)|
|1992 Betul (M.P.)|
|1994 Loutulim ( Goa )|
|MARIAN SHRINES||OPEN SCHOOLS|
|1952 Matunga (Bombay)||1985 Quepem ( Goa)|
|1946 Panjim ( Goa)||1991 Andheri ( Bombay)|
|1991 Sutgatti (Karnataka)|
|2001 Matunga (Bombay)|
|2001 Borivli (Bombay)|
|RURAL DEVELOPMENT||SOCIAL COMMUNICATIONS|
|1962 Sulcoma (Goa)||1992 Kurla, ` Boscom Studio ‘|
|1975 Chhota Udepur (Gujarat)||1994 Matunga, ` Tej – prasarini’|
|1981 Dakor ( Gujarat)|
|1986 Kawant ( Gujarat )|
|1986 Bhingar ( Ahmednagar)||ORPHANAGES|
|1988 Narukot (Gujarat)||1969 Andheri (Bombay)|
|1988 Pinuguli ( Sindhudurg)||1970 Borivili ( Bombay)|
|1992 Alirajpur (M.P.)||1985 Quepem ( Goa)|
DROPOUTS & STREET CHILDREN
1972 Borivili, ` Bosco Boy`s Home’
1987 Wadala, ` Shelter – Don Bosco ‘
|YOUTH RESEARCH RESOURCES||YOUTH ANIMATION CENTRES|
|1975 Pune, ` D.B. Youth Centre’||1975 Koregaon Park ( Pune)|
|1980 Nashik, ` Divyadaan ‘||1986 Matunga ( Bombay )|
|1985 Matunga, Youth Services ‘||1987 Benaulim ( Goa )|
|1996 Baroda, ” Amrutdhara||1987 Odxel (Goa)|
|1995 Matunga ( Bombay)|
|HOSTEL FOR COLLEGE BOYS|
|1946 Panjim ( Goa)|
|1974 Baroda ( Gujrat )|
|1993 Kapadvanj (Gujarat)|
A Hundred Years since the arrival Of Salesians in Mumbai and India
They saw – even in sleep a dream we are fortunate to be part of! They saw a line – the path of Salesian missionary activity beginning from Valparalso, traversing Africa and then graciously touching the western shores of India on its way to Calcutta. Today, 100 years after his sons began work in India for poor and abandoned youth, our Father, Don Bosco, still sees, still dreams in us.
This we believe. This we pledge. For this we pray
In 1876, Pope Plus IX offered Don Bosco twelve vicariates in India, which were in urgent need of personnel. Don Bosco agreed to take up one of them and requested twenty months to prepare his men. Returning from Rome, he told his sons, ” Those of who wish to go to India have twenty months to get ready.”
A little later he wrote to Fr. Cagliero in Argentina; ” I really feel you must return to Europe in 1877 and take a trip to Ceylon in India. That place needs a Castelnuovo boy..” He wrote to Cagliero again; ” We shall accept the vicariate of Mangador ( Manglore ) in India, and Fr. Cagliero will be the vicar apostolic.”
Despite these plans, it took another 3o years for the sons of Don Bosco to reach India and when they came in 1906, it was not in Ceylon, nor to Mangalore, but to Thanjavur in Tamilnadu.
The Chief instruments in bringing the Salesians to India were the bishops of the Padroado diocese of Mylapore. Negotiations were started as early as 1896 by Mgr. Antonio de Souza Barroso who had heard that it was Don Bosco`s desire to send the Salesians to India.
After protracted negotiations, the first group of Salesian missionaries to India landed in Bombay on January 6, 1906, under the leadership of Fr. George Tomatis. With him were two other priests, one brother, a scholastic and an aspirant. Travelling by train from Bombay they reached Thanjavur on January 14.
At Thanjavur the Salesians started their work with six orphans at the St. Francis Xavier`s Orphanage. Soon the number rose steadily, till reached 800 in 1928. The first Indian boy to join the salesians was Karunal who was sent to Italy in 1907 as an aspirant. From Italy he proceeded to Portugal for his novitiate. Unfortunately he fell ill and died in Lisbon in 1909. The next to follow Don Bosco were Ignatius Muthu and Arulsamy, both of whom were also sent to Italy in 1908 and later proceeded to Portugal for the novitiate. They professed in 1911, Ignatius Muthu was ordained priest in Mylapore in 1916.
After great amount of negotiations with the proper authorities, the Salesians agreed to go to Bombay in May 1928, so as to be able to take over the school at Tardeo before the scholastic year started in June. The Salesians reached Bombay only on the 16th morning. They were received cordially by Fr. D`Costa, the Secretary of Msgr. Xavier, and taken to the Bishop`s palace at Colaba. On the 18th they went over to Tardeo and took possession of the school.
Since then, the Salesians in Mumbai have grown, separating from the Mother Province of Madras (Chennai) in 1972 and becoming a Province with nine houses and institutions and 126 salesians. Today after the province of Mumbai has given birth to The Vice – Province of Panjim, the Mumbai Province has 217 salesians and novices with 34 communities and institutions.
We, the sons of Don Bosco and the Salesian Family ( Salesians, Salesian Sisters, Cooperators and Past Pupils) are called to lead the young, to be signs and bearers of the young in our world today and in our motherland India, to be source of inspiration to them and a sign of hope. May we be spurred on with the zeal and enthusiasm of Don Bosco and our early salesians, leaving footprints of love in the hearts of the young especially the poorest of the poor!