The Bombay High Court (मुंबई उच्च न्यायालय)was inaugurated on August 14, 1862. The work on the present building of the High Court was commenced in April 1871 and completed in November 1878. It was designed by British engineer Col. J.A. Fuller. The first sitting in this building was on January 10, 1879. Architecture: Gothic revival in the Early English style. It is 562 feet long and 189 feet wide. To the west of the central tower are two octagonal towers. The statues of Justice and Mercy are atop this building.
The 125th anniversary of the building is slated to be marked by the release of a book, commissioned by the Bar Association, called “The Bombay High Court: The Story of the Building – 1878–2003” by local historians Rahul Mehrotra and Sharada Dwivedi.
Sanctioned strength: 60. A petition is pending to increase the number to 75 judges.
The court handles 3.4 lakh cases, both civil and criminal. 32 sitting judges of the court disposed around 2,000 cases each in 2004. The court has a ratio of 1:1.61 million :: judges to people.
The court has jurisdiction over the states of Maharashtra, Goa and the Union territories of Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli. The court has benches in Nagpur, Aurangabad and Panaji.
Although the name of the city was changed from Bombay to Mumbai in 1995, the Court as an institution did not follow suit and remained as the Bombay High Court.